Avoid a Meltdown! Helpful Guide to Refrigeration Maintenance
When you are running a commercial catering business, one of the worst things that can go wrong is to have your Commercial Catering Equipment fail – especially your refrigeration during the warmer months of the year. This can result in an inconvenient delay of operations leading to reduced sales and hundreds of dollars being wasted in having to throw out melted or spoiled food, not to mention expensive repairs while trying to get your refrigeration operating again as soon as possible.
A simple way to avoid this loss in your net profit is to have preventative maintenance measures in place. The following is a checklist our team at ACE Catering Equipment recommend you implement in your commercial kitchen to make sure your refrigeration remains reliable.
- Check the temperature at least twice daily. The refrigerator temperature should be at or below 4 degrees C. The freezer temperature should be -18 degrees C.
- Always check the temperature of food deliveries.
- Check for unusual noises, remembering that it is normal for the compressor to start up when you add a new load as it is working to keep the temperature stable.
- Check for water leaks and make sure lights are working.
- Clean the interior and exterior of each unit with hot water and mild soap – do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive tools. Keep door seals clean to avoid the build-up of material between the folds and keep drains free of debris. Never use water on the electrical components!
- Check that there is good airflow around the unit and that all switches, control panels and other operating machinery can operate unobstructed.
- Check for broken hinges or gaskets that won’t seal to identify problems before they become troublesome.
- Check all refrigerant sight glasses as this is an ozone protection requirement.
- Check defrost time clocks if they are accessible, and also make sure evaporators are not icing up.
- Clean air-cooled condensers and cool room evaporator.
- Remove build-up of ice by using the defrost system or a blunt scraper.
- We suggest you implement a Quarterly Service Agreement. Contact ACE for a non-obligation appraisal.
If you are in the market for refrigeration for a new venture or simply need a replacement, contact us today – phone (07) 3279 5204 or mobile 0414 887 298. Allow ACE Catering Equipment to help you with your commercial Refrigeration / Freezer Equipment requirements. Click here to view some of our refrigerator range. We handle all major worldwide manufactures and can also custom build to your specific requirements and space restrictions.